[mpeg-OTspec] SVGZ in SVG+OpenType

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Oct 27 02:04:36 CET 2014

Thanks Chris,

On 14-10-26 05:07 PM, Chris Lilley chris at w3.org [mpeg-OTspec] wrote:

> Hello Behdad,
>
> Saturday, October 25, 2014, 9:56:18 AM, you wrote:
>
>> Allow gzip-compressed SVG documents where SVG documents are currently
>> accepted.
>
> This is a useful clarification. I say clarification because a
> conforming SVG viewer is already required to accept gzip-compressed
> content:
>
> SVG implementations must correctly support gzip-encoded [RFC1952]
> and deflate-encoded [RFC1951] data streams, for any content type
> (including SVG, script files, images).

Right.  You mentioned this before, and I tried to confirm it, but got confused
and thought the requirements only affect HTTP transport.  I checked again now
and see your point.

This distinction is important though, because if your reasoning is to be
followed, then deflate-encoded SVG must also be supported.

However, from the point of view of SVG+OpenType specification / working group,
they may not feel bound by the SVG viewer conformance requirements.

Anyway, I think you know better what the implications are one way or another.
 In the mean time I'll go build a font, such that Jonathan can take a look at
implementing it in Firefox.

behdad

--
behdad