[mpeg-OTspec] Draft amendment of ISO/IEC 14496-22 OFF (3rd edition)

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Wed Jun 3 18:52:28 CEST 2015

Vlad wrote:

 > I agree and share your point of view but I also understand Behdad’s
> position and his desire to enable font tools make intelligent decisions
> that are not in any way limited by today’s prescriptions that might get
> outdated at some point in the near (or distant) future.

> So considering both of these views – I’d propose that we should
> specifically mention the unique role that ‘name’ table plays in a font
> collection (serving as a unique identifier attached to a font component)
> and also explicitly mention that any other tables can be shared and the
> decision to do so is based solely on the design decisions applied to
> font components and font collections that include them.

This sounds reasonable, but I would like to see such comments reference
'current font collection implementations' or perhaps a specific version
of the format spec. When considering possible models for packaging
size-specific design variants a couple of years ago, one option I
examined would have involved a new kind of TTC in which the unique
identifier would have been a size reference rather than a name
reference. This wasn't pursued, but I offer it as evidence that there
are other ways of thinking about font collections, and hence possible
future innovations in this area.

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

Getting Spiekermann to not like Helvetica is like training
a cat to stay out of water. But I'm impressed that people
know who to ask when they want to ask someone to not like
Helvetica. That's progress. -- David Berlow