[mpeg-OTspec] Draft amendment of ISO/IEC 14496-22 OFF (3rd edition)

Sairus Patel sppatel at adobe.com
Thu Jun 4 00:37:08 CEST 2015

In our discussions about table-sharing within a Font Collection, I should note that it may not be useful to prohibit the 'name' table from being shared.

For a Font Collection to be installed on the desktop, certainly the components would need to have different names. But what of a Font Collection that's embedded in a document? Such a document format may have only a component font index within a collection to identify a particular font, and thus there would be no need to have a 'name' table in the embedded collection at all - or perhaps only a single shared 'name' table containing, say, just a copyright string.

I know that the OFF/OT spec's "requirements" for tables etc are desktop-specific & we've talked in the past about having different sets of profiles for requirements (desktop, embedded, etc). That hasn't happened, but I'd say let's not have explicit restrictions on what can be shared in a collection or not. Let the restrictions rather fall out of how tables are constructed.

Sairus