OTCs in which a CFF is shared: PostScript font name proposal

Sairus Patel sppatel at adobe.com
Fri Jun 5 23:11:36 CEST 2015

Vlad, all,

Here is a reworked proposal from the one I made June '14 (attached below); the relevant section has since moved from the 'name' spec to "Recommendations":

1.
The name ID 6 (PostScript font name) section of the Recommendations section (sec 7) says:

> In CFF OpenType fonts, these two name strings, when translated to ASCII, must also be identical to the font name as stored in the CFF's Name INDEX.

Proposed: Remove the above sentence.

2.
Proposed: Insert the following sentence before the last sentence ("See 'name' table section...") in the 'name' table spec for name ID 6 (sec 5.2.6.3):

In a CFF OT font, there is no requirement that this name be the same as the font name in the CFF's Name INDEX. Thus, the same CFF may be shared among multiple font components in an OFF Font Collection.

[While editing this portion, please change the name of this ID from "Postscript" to "PostScript" name.]

3.
Proposed: Insert the following in the CFF table section (sec 5.4.1) right after the sentence "The Name INDEX in the CFF must contain only one entry; that is, there must be only one font in the CFF FontSet.":

It is not a requirement that this name be the same as name ID 6 in the OFF font's 'name' table. Thus, the same CFF may be shared among multiple font components in an OFF Font Collection.

Thanks,

Sairus