script tags update (Re: [mpeg-OTspec] Digest Number 549)

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Fri Apr 1 01:44:11 CEST 2016

On 31/03/16 14:29, 'Adam Twardoch (List)' list.adam at twardoch.com
[mpeg-OTspec] wrote:

> In Unicode, Hiragana and Katakana are classified as separate scripts,
> in OpenType, they share one script tag. There is nothing wrong with
> that by itself — the OpenType script tags are primarily a mechanism to
> activate a certain "script-specific processing sub-engine" within the
> OpenType Layout engine, and both kana variants can be processed with
> the same sub-engine because their behavioral logic is practically the
> same.

Out of idle interest:

Is the implication of this that Katakana and Hiragana runs identified
and separated by script itemisation — based on Unicode script property —
are passed to a single layout engine that processes glyphs for both
using features and lookups mapped in the <kana> OTL script tag?

Or is the implication that Katakana and Hiragana, if adjacent, are
rolled into a single 'kana' run before being passed to the layout engine?

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

Getting Spiekermann to not like Helvetica is like training
a cat to stay out of water. But I'm impressed that people
know who to ask when they want to ask someone to not like
Helvetica. That's progress. -- David Berlow