[mpeg-OTspec] Re: factual error in the DSIG description in the OT spec.

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotype.com
Tue Apr 19 23:17:11 CEST 2016

Dear Hin-Tak,

Thank you for your contributions and active participation in OFF-related discussions. While I agree with you that DSIG table hasn't seen much use and often comes in the way when webfonts need to be altered (e.g. subsetted for a particular content) - the deprecation of the table shouldn’t be taken lightly and we should definitely consider implications of doing so _if_ there are certain contingencies where various implementations might rely on presence of certain tables to enable advanced layout functionality.

I consider any changes to DSIG table (either editorial or functional or deprecation) to be a major change that is definitely needed and is likely to be a benefit but I am not sure if we can do so within a scope of the current ballot comments and definitely not until we have heard from MS and other major stakeholders. The change like this might be much more suitable as part of the next major revision of the spec that is expected to be initiated later this year.

I'd like to ask all interested parties to express their views on the DSIG table functionality and share their experiences (either negative or positive) with using it.