[mpeg-OTspec] Re: factual error in the DSIG description in the OT spec.

David Lemon lemon at adobe.com
Tue Mar 29 18:41:34 CEST 2016

Vladimir,
Your comments about the DSIG table are a solid summary of points that have been raised about this in the past, and I agree they are fairly compelling.

The primary purpose of the DSIG is to verify when the font is unchanged since being signed. I don’t know whether (potentially maliciously) modified fonts are still a concern, so I’d be curious to see what Microsoft has to say on this point, in light of the various steps they’ve taken over the years to bolster security around fonts.

You’ll recall that a secondary purpose of the table has been to indicate to Windows that a font was OpenType and not Type 1. There could certainly be better heuristics for that function, but it’s too late to change old Oses. That said, perhaps they’re old enough to not be a point of concern today. I’m not sure at what point (if ever) this behavior changed; perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Thanks,
--
David Lemon
Sr Manager, Type Development