script tags update (Re: [mpeg-OTspec] Digest Number 549)

Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com
Thu Mar 31 21:34:46 CEST 2016

Leonardo,

I still don't understand why "kanji" is in this discussion. The current table lists Hiragana and Katakana, two Japanese syllabaries with about 100 characters each, as separate entries in the first column, and both resolve to the same script tag, 'kana'. Hiragana and Katakana can be collectively referred to as Kana, and the OpenType script tag is effectively doing the same thing. I have no strong preference for consolidating the Hiragana and Katakana entries, which having nothing to do with Kanji in that they represent a separate script, and made the suggestion in order to avoid confusion, such as what Adam experienced, in the future.

And yes, I know Japan and Japanese culture. It's the essence of what I have been doing at Adobe for three months shy of 25 years.

Best...

-- Ken