[OpenType] [mpeg-OTspec] RE: Long-standing typo in 'OS/2' table section

Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com
Wed Nov 16 14:32:15 CET 2016

Hin-Tak,

The correct range is for Mahjong Tiles is 1F000-1F02F, which is reflected in the online OpenType Specification and in ISO/IEC 14496-22:2015. You can also confirm this on the SMP's roadmap page:

  http://www.unicode.org/roadmaps/smp/

With regard to Plane 16, the last two code points in the BMP and in all 16 additional planes, meaning FFFE and FFFF in the BMP and *FFFE and *FFFF in the additional planes, are noncharacters.

Related to this I also noted the following in both the online specification and in the ISO standard:

69 Specials FFF0-FFFF

FFFF should be FFFD if noncharacters are excluded. Also consider that 32 noncharacters in the range UFDD0 through U+FDEF are included in the entry below, which is also reflected in both the online specification and in the ISO standard:

63 Arabic Presentation Forms-A FB50-FDFF

But, for the purpose of the 'OS/2' table specification, there is no harm in including noncharacters, and doing so also looks cleaner. So, 90 would become the following (changing FFFFD and 10FFFD to FFFFF and 10FFFF, respectively:

90 Private Use (plane 15) F0000-FFFFF
   Private Use (plane 16) 100000-10FFFF

And, 63 and 69 are therefore okay as-is.

Best...

-- Ken