[mpeg-OTspec] Different OpenType/CFF behavior on Windows 10 with 'gasp' table

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Tue Dec 11 21:58:27 CET 2018

On 11122018 12:32 PM, Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com [mpeg-OTspec] wrote:
> They suspect that DirectWrite may be sensitive to the presence of the
> 'gasp' table in OpenType/CFF (aka non-TrueType) fonts, which matches
> their observations.

That makes sense to me; in fact, if someone had asked me to predict
whether a gasp table would influence rendering of CFF fonts in DWrite, I
would have guessed yes. The gasp table influences the antialiasing model
applied in Windows rendering environments, so when one of those
environments starts rasterising CFF fonts it makes sense that the
antialiasing of those outlines becomes subject to the same influence.
It's probably worth experimenting with to see if the gasp table is ever
actually of beneficial use in a CFF font. Quite possibly, it isn't —
since the gridfitting controls and TTF instruction interaction are not
the same for CFF —, in which case the spec should clearly reserve the
gasp table for TTF. But if there is a possible benefit, maybe we should
allow this with caveats?

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.