[mpeg-OTspec] Mac version string in 'name' table

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Tue Feb 20 20:28:23 CET 2018

Thanks, Ken.

Judy in our Fonts team has told me that she got reports of developers that have licensed some of our fonts having issues in Adobe XD running on Mac OS when the fonts didn’t include names for platform ID 1: 3/1 strings were being used, but for the incorrect language. (May have been an app issue or a MacOS/iOS issue.) You may want to consult with your XD team before dropping platform 1 strings.

(Maybe someday all the legacy platform-specific stuff can go away and we just have platform-independent, Unicode-encoded strings.)

But that is a different issue than what is referred to in the spec currently. I’m inclined to delete that and to add (somewhere appropriate) something like this:

“Note: Some applications running on Apple platforms may require a font to contain strings for the Macintosh platform (platform ID 1).”

Or perhaps,

“Note: Newer platform implementations are able to use strings for other platforms. Some applications running on a given platform, however, may still require that fonts include strings for that platform.”

Peter