CJK font recommendations

Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com
Tue Jul 24 15:09:04 CEST 2018

Peter and others,

Correct, especially given that UAX #50, "Unicode Vertical Text Layout," has made the referenced GSUB feature, 'vrt2', obsolete and effectively deprecated.

Adobe's legacy static CJK glyph sets -- Adobe-CNS1-7, Adobe-GB-5, Adobe-Japan1-6 (soon to be Adobe-Japan1-7 ;-), and Adobe-Korea1-2 -- will forever include the pre-rotated glyphs that are referenced by the 'vrt2' GSUB feature, but more modern glyph sets, such as those for the Source Han / Noto CJK Pan-CJK typefaces, Ten Mincho (our latest commercial Japanese typeface), and our latest static CJK glyph set, Adobe-KR-9, do not include no 'vrt2' glyphs at all.

For those who are not aware of Adobe-KR-9, its first public release was issued just last week:

  https://blogs.adobe.com/CCJKType/2018/07/akr9-release.html

Regards...

-- Ken