[mpeg-OTspec] Draft amendment - any additional changes?

Rob McKaughan robmck at microsoft.com
Fri Feb 8 00:02:55 CET 2019

Apologies for taking a long time to respond to Ken Ludne’s proposal on the ‘vert’ feature.

After talking with people in the GDI and DirectWrite teams, we are recommending against this proposal. There is an existing solution for vertical typesetting that has been implemented in OpenType and Microsoft products for over 25 years, with good customer feedback and a plethora of fonts developed for it. It also supports components like Jamo so that space-efficient East Asian fonts can be created. Finally, though poorly documented, it has a quarter century of momentum behind it.

To its credit, Ken’s proposal does provide greater flexibility for font makers, and enables Harfbuzz and CoreText platforms to support vertical typesetting with no code changes; however, it does not address the existing solution or the impact of the proposal on it. I.e. fonts designed per the new proposal will not work on platforms that implement the existing solution. Even if the proposal went forward as-is, it would create a problem for font makers because they would not have a way to build a single font on all the platforms. This problem is only made worse by the fact that, neither of the two platform makers that do require code changes to support the proposal (i.e. Adobe and Microsoft) can commit to the change.

For our part, we will look into better documenting the current solution for platform makers so that it is easier and clearer to implement.

// Rob