[MPEG-OTSPEC] Vertical Writing: Character Orientations are Sometimes Uncontrollable

David Singer singer at apple.com
Wed Aug 12 01:51:31 CEST 2020

> On Aug 11, 2020, at 15:43 , Levantovsky, Vladimir <Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com> wrote:
>
> How do we expect this feature be implemented? Won’t we need ALL implementations and ALL fonts to be updated for the new feature to work? If users frown upon any changes in existing Japanese fonts, why do you believe defining a new feature would make a difference?

I’m puzzled; we could publish a spec. on how layout should work; we could update CSS; and so on. As an industry, we have many choices — though I realize a group responsible for maintaining a font spec. has few.

We could, however, say that there are defaults which the fonts can override and should be assumed in the absence of an override, can’t we?

Specific features inside fonts are not our only vehicle (even in a font group).

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.