[MPEG-OTSPEC] Updates to specification

Simon Cozens simon at simon-cozens.org
Thu Aug 13 13:00:52 CEST 2020

Hello all,

	I've just proposed an initial tranche of 32 amendments to the OpenType
Specification through Microsoft's github repository, but I am a little
unclear on the update process and want to seek clarification before
suggesting any more improvements.

	Are updates made by Microsoft automatically adopted by ISO OFF when a
new MSOT specification is released? If so, then OFF is entirely
controlled by MS, which would be an interesting and unusual position for
an ISO standard. If not, then how does ISO avoid divergence? What
happens if this community disagrees with a change that MS has made? Does
the synchronization work the other way around - does MS automatically
pick up standard changes that this ad hoc group makes?

	Currently we have two sources of the same information, both claiming to
be authoritative. Anyone who has worked with databases knows the dangers
of this situation.

	So where is the best place to submit improvements to each standard?
Should I submit identical proposals for OFF improvement here here too?

Simon