[MPEG-OTSPEC] Updates to specification

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Thu Aug 13 20:55:24 CEST 2020

John has made an important point: a standard, even an ISO/IEC standard, isn’t worth much unless it’s actually implemented. My perspective on OT and OFF for several years now has been that a goal for most new technical enhancements should be broad adoption across major platforms.

Many will agree that the colour font formats were a bit of a fiasco that were not particularly helpful for industry at large. Yes, platforms had ways to create emoji fonts, and there were stable and publicly-available specs showing how one could make colour fonts to work on different platforms, if they wanted to. But in general, the type industry is interested in font formats that can work predictably on many end points — many different platforms, applications and devices.

I’ll take a second example from a little earlier (and one that I’m not so proud of): in the mid-2000s, the ISO 639-3 standard was published and being integrated into the IETF language tag specifications (BCP 47), and the latter were being revamped in light of much better understanding across industry of broad and longer term needs in that regard. And at MS, I was among a group evangelizing use of BCP 47 to replace obsolete, proprietary numeric LANGIDs. And as I was working on text display (Uniscribe and shaping engines) at the time, I knew that the ‘name’ table was one of the holdout places where LANGIDs were still required. So, I came up with ‘name’ format 1 as a way to integrate BCP 47 language tags. This came at a time when MS and Adobe were collaborating on design of ‘cmap’ format 14, to handle Unicode variation sequences. So, I included my proposal for ‘name’ format 1 into those discussions. It was reviewed by that working group of engineers from the two companies, and nobody raised objections or major concerns. But—and here’s the rub—nobody committed to or even took a serious interest in implementing it. (On the MS side, the others involved were not from a team especially focused on i18n issues.) So, there’s something that’s in both OT and OFF, but AFAIK it’s never been implemented, and while that remains the case, it’s a complete waste.

The lesson for me in all this has been that, whatever channel is used to introduce changes and, especially, to propose changes for new functionality, it’s critically important to have major platform vendors involved, at a minimum to give review and give a nod that the proposed enhancements would be useful, are well-enough designed and feasible, but even better to have two or more of them indicating a desire to implement the new design in their platforms in the foreseeable future. That was the approach I took for variations, and I think it’s been reasonably successful for industry as a whole.

Peter