[MPEG-OTSPEC] Updates to specification

Levantovsky, Vladimir Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com
Fri Aug 14 19:32:33 CEST 2020

On Friday, August 14, 2020 1:10 PM Dave Crossland wrote:

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 12:38 PM Levantovsky, Vladimir <Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com<mailto:Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com>> wrote:
Input documents (as is the case here) are produced by their contributing members and it’s up to them whether they decide to make them public. In this particular case, the liaison letter from SC34 isn’t public and is only accessible to accredited members of the SC29 behind the login,

I see. That is disappointing. Is a summary available?

Murata-san has been directly involved in the process of authoring the SC34 liaison, I’d like to delegate it to him to provide us with the summary.
The discussions we are conducting on this list as part of the AHG activities definitely fall within mandate 3.
However, when it comes to creating a GitHub repo - it may not be as easy as we might hope. Ideally, having the whole text of OFF in public GitHub repo would be a good thing, and each proposed change would have an associated set of issues attached, but I am not sure how to get around copyrights issue – I am trying to get guidance on this. Even though ISO/IEC 14406-22 “Open Font Format” is a publicly available document (https://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/LSjsC82xAMh63JPAf2lHnb/>) and anyone can get their own free copy of it – you do have to click through the copyright disclaimer before ISO allows you to download a copy. In essence, every user gets a copy that is directly licensed to him/her, it’s free to use but not free for all.

Understood. Well, it seems per David Singer's later (amazing! Thank you David!) comments on this list that a issue-only repo like https://github.com/MPEGGroup/FileFormat<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/NTHFC9ryBDhknZN6uO5_U-> (and indeed, a twin with https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/typography-issues<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/-B7lC0Rmp0uGvEg9uOQrnF> that avoids the issues with single-vendor no-policy spaces) would still be useful, as it could move more concrete discussions off this list to a place where they can be better tagged, sorted, segmented into milestones, tied to resolution actions, and so on - and this list could return to a lower level of traffic for discussions that are more meta or free wheeling.

Yes, absolutely, but I am still hopeful that maybe (fingers crossed) we can do more.
Thank you,
Vlad