[MPEG-OTSPEC] Updates to specification

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Fri Aug 14 19:35:59 CEST 2020

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 7:40 AM Eric Muller <eric.muller at efele.net> wrote:

> At the same time, the names of structures in OpenType tables end up in
> code, documentation, tools' UI, discussions on this list, our heads, etc..
> Changing them every two months is not going to help. I would prefer such
> changes to occur infrequently, may be accumulating them in a backlog in the
> mean time.

Not just that: Peter's unilateral renaming was a disservice to the
specification: he replaced the obscure-looking "SHORT", "USHORT", "LONG",
"ULONG", with common words "int16", "uint16", "int32", "uint32", even
though those do not match the similarly-named types in computers and
languages, because the OpenType ones are always big-endian.  If he had
consulted others, we could have reached a universally-unambiguous and clear
names.