[MPEG-OTSPEC] Issues from CSS: Will they be covered by the text shaping WG?

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Fri Aug 14 19:50:32 CEST 2020

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 6:15 PM John Hudson <john at tiro.ca> wrote:

> Over the years I've had periodic discussions with Microsoft about doing
> a thorough review and reconfiguration of the OTL feature registry, but
> there’s never been an opportune moment in terms of either my time or
> their budget. I'm hoping that this is something the new group could
> undertake.

As luck would have it, I was literally just going to bring up a "registry"
question (since it popped up in the other thread), so if the following is
tangential, say the word and I will fork it into a new discussion, but:

I for one am still really unclear on exactly what the nature of tag
registries is — people talk about them as being distinct from the
specifications (in fact it was John's comment along those lines "after all,
changes only to a registry, not to part of the core OT specification" that
made me ask), but ... as a practical matter, they don't seem to exist in
distinct location separate from the spec, nor have separate processes
defined. So, if they are distinct, then I guess I don't understand how they
work.

Maybe that's in scope, maybe not. But I would float the idea that if the
registry idea has a broader intent, like "people can declare their own tags
for the purpose of testing new ideas" or even just "people can avoid
stepping on each others' toes", then that sounds like a valuable concept,
but it might not be as well-publicized as it could be.

If that's decidedly not the intent of the registry concept then, well, I
guess I still need it explained (and/or publicized).

Nate
--
nathan.p.willis
nwillis at glyphography.com <http://identi.ca/n8>