[MPEG-OTSPEC] SHORT vs int16 vs ???

Dave Crossland dcrossland at google.com
Fri Aug 14 22:56:47 CEST 2020

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 4:31 PM Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 2:19 PM Dave Crossland <dcrossland at google.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 1:36 PM Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org>
>> wrote:

>>> Not just that: Peter's unilateral renaming was a disservice to the
>>> specification: he replaced the obscure-looking "SHORT", "USHORT", "LONG",
>>> "ULONG", with common words "int16", "uint16", "int32", "uint32", even
>>> though those do not match the similarly-named types in computers and
>>> languages, because the OpenType ones are always big-endian.  If he had
>>> consulted others, we could have reached a universally-unambiguous and clear
>>> names.
>>>

>> What alternatives do you propose, Behdad, Peter, Eric, anyone? :)
>>

> BEInt16, BigInt16, ..
>
> I know matches my initial, but not what I suggest. :-)

Humm.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22BEInt16%22+%22BigInt16%22 0 results

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22BEInt16%22
<https://www.google.com/search?q=%22BEInt16%22+%22BigInt16%22> 232 results

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22BigInt16%22
<https://www.google.com/search?q=%22BEInt16%22+%22BigInt16%22> 22 results

Common words "int16", "uint16", "int32", "uint32", plus a prominent notice
to remember that these are always big-endian, seems more pleasant to read
to me, than these obscure but accurate terms.