[MPEG-OTSPEC] Issues from CSS: Will they be covered by the text shaping WG?

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Fri Aug 14 23:53:40 CEST 2020

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 12:43 PM Simon Cozens <simon at simon-cozens.org>
wrote:

> On 14/08/2020 18:15, John Hudson wrote:
> > Over the years I've had periodic discussions with Microsoft about doing
> > a thorough review and reconfiguration of the OTL feature registry, but
> > there’s never been an opportune moment in terms of either my time or
> > their budget. I'm hoping that this is something the new group could
> > undertake.
>
> This is already on my to-do list. I'd of course welcome any
> discussions/contributions, and I will be doing it in an open forum, but
> it is something that is going to get done soon.

That's clearly needed and way overdue. But even more important is to
register ONE feature that can be used for any purpose. GSUB and GPOS. Any
lookup type.

Of course that's become complicated by MS chopping application of lookups
into chunks in multiple script shapers, contrary to what the OT spec says
(that all enabled lookups are applied in lookup-number order.)