[MPEG-OTSPEC] Updates to specification

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Sun Aug 16 18:49:33 CEST 2020

On 15082020 11:41 pm, Norbert Lindenberg wrote:
> I agree with John that it would be useful to look at how the groups working on some other essential standards decide what goes into their specifications, and when. John, can you point us to a reference for the W3C independent implementations requirement?

This is the W3C Process Document, which details, among other things, the
path to advance a Technical Report to a Recommendation.
https://www.w3.org/2004/02/Process-20040205/tr.html

My understanding is that two independent and interoperable
implementations are normally sought in the Call for Implementations
stage, but it isn’t an absolute requirement. Fantasai or someone else
from W3C can certainly provide a more complete explanation of how
important the implementation report tends to be. Here, for example, is
the WOFF2 implementation report:
https://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/WOFF2/Implementation.html

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.