[MPEG-OTSPEC] Defining the text shaping working group’s scope

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Tue Aug 18 19:50:45 CEST 2020

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 12:27 PM Levantovsky, Vladimir <
Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com> wrote:

> Hi Behdad,
>

> I am sorry you feel that your voice has not been heard, I happen to think
> this is not the case and that your voice is heard loud and clear.

Vlad,

I asked you to tell me how I can make a formal complaint to ISO. You asked
that we videocall. During the video call your only goal was to talk me out
of wanting to file a formal complaint. Your argument was that it will
disturb the adhoc situ. In reality I see now, you are only concerned with
maintaining your own position. At any rate, I agreed to let you talk to
Peter & MS to see if they are willing to accept fault, apologize, and
commit to a fair process. You said you'll go talk to them, and you made
sure to repeat three times that it will take time. Now I see you wanted to
just shut me down for longer.

You told me that you had a long conversation with Peter after his
smoking-gun message (
https://gist.github.com/behdad/d08f958f8a5e2cb6badf6e32598427df). Now I see
you basically agreed together to maintain your power positions each and not
attack each other to keep the status quo going. Neither Peter nor MS every
apologized for that illegitimate assertion of power and dominance over
other parties in this space.

Anyway, while having this conversation with me, on this group, you go ahead
and **praise** the "adhoc" process as a success story. The same adhoc that
**enabled** all the abuses I'm alleging to. There's a reason standards have
formal procedures, such that a minority cannot force their opinion into the
standard. The "adhoc" broke that and indeed a minority hijacked the
process. And you are complicit in this.

I lost a lot of respect for you.

I'm done with you and Peter and this list. What a farce.

I will be contacting the Canadian standardization body to exercise my
rights to influence OFF. I encourage others to do the same.

behdad