[MPEG-OTSPEC] lookup processing and 'chws', 'vchw'

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Thu Aug 20 09:43:38 CEST 2020

I guess there’s another question I can ask: When using GPOS type 2 lookups for ‘kern’ (or ‘vkrn’, ‘chws’, ‘vchw’), do font developers / font development tools usually make adjustments to the first glyph only?

Per the currently spec’d processing, if valueFormat2 in GPOS type 2 lookups is 0, then the second glyph is not consumed. If that is typically the way kerning lookups are implemented (which seems reasonable), then indeed the intent of the wording all along may have been a recommendation to font developers, not a requirement on shaping engine implementations — which is how it currently comes across (at least, to me). And if that is the intent, then I think the wording should be revised to make that clear.

Peter