[MPEG-OTSPEC] Updates to specification

fantasai fantasai.lists at inkedblade.net
Thu Aug 20 20:55:56 CEST 2020

On 8/16/20 9:49 AM, John Hudson wrote:
> On 15082020 11:41 pm, Norbert Lindenberg wrote:
>> I agree with John that it would be useful to look at how the groups working
>> on some other essential standards decide what goes into their
>> specifications, and when. John, can you point us to a reference for the W3C
>> independent implementations requirement?
>
> This is the W3C Process Document, which details, among other things, the path
> to advance a Technical Report to a Recommendation.
> https://www.w3.org/2004/02/Process-20040205/tr.html

That's a very old version of the Process. Here a persistent link to the
currently-operative one:
   http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/
and, perhaps more relevantly, the one that will be effective starting 15
September 2020:
   https://www.w3.org/2020/Process-20200915/#rec-track
and its corresponding Patent Policy:
   https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20200915/

> My understanding is that two independent and interoperable implementations are
> normally sought in the Call for Implementations stage, but it isn’t an
> absolute requirement.

Exactly.

> Fantasai or someone else from W3C can certainly provide
> a more complete explanation of how important the implementation report tends
> to be. Here, for example, is the WOFF2 implementation report:
> https://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/WOFF2/Implementation.html

The quality and level of detail of implementation reports varies among WGs, is
my impression. Ultimately the Director decides whether the implementation
requirement has been satisfied.
   https://www.w3.org/2020/Process-20200915/#implementation-experience

Fwiw, here's the CSS Writing Modes Level 3 implementation report:
   https://drafts.csswg.org/css-writing-modes-3/implementation-report-2019-08

~fantasai