[MPEG-OTSPEC] SHORT vs int16 vs ???

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Fri Aug 21 10:04:05 CEST 2020

Here's a few more instances of MS unilaterally acting or refusing to act in
a timely manner to consensus by experts:

- Ned / Apple repeatedly asked for “Indic 3” tags to be added to the spec
such that Indic scripts can be routed to the USE shaper. This first was
presented in an OpenType Layout meeting I called for and chaired in Google
Seattle in 2014 [0]. Was a recurring topic in multiple OpenType Layout
meetings. Never happened.

- name table format 1 was added to spec with no input from anyone outside
Microsoft as far as I know. No one I have talked to even is sure that even
Microsoft implements that.

- OS/2 table version 5 optical-size items were added by Microsoft solely
when it was not even necessary. Same could already be expressed in GPOS
table feature size parameters as originally put in by Adobe. It was purely
laziness on Microsoft’s side to use the existing facilities.

- STAT table Axis value table, format 4 was added hastily by Peter
subsequently to the original #varfonts release. Axis value table
format2 acknowledges the need for ranges of values instead of just point
values (format 1). Yet when Peter wanted to add format 4 (I disagree with
the need / solution more generally, but that's a different issue), I
suggested that he make format 4 encode (possibly degenerate) ranges only.
But he ignored my reasonable and technical point and went with point values
instead, which makes this another defect in OpenType that didn't have to be.
behdad
http://behdad.org/

[0] Read the agenda (first) document. Most items are still as relevant and
overdue and unaddressed today.
http://goo.gl/ub684i
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ge62dgj9KzFpN0ifGvKEs2s-y31S31qSYBWeqdd03H8/edit