[MPEG-OTSPEC] lookup processing and 'chws', 'vchw'

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Fri Aug 21 20:48:24 CEST 2020

I was able to confirm that this wording was present in the OT 1.25 timeframe. The OT spec change log<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/changes> captures that there were “clarifications” made in the description of ‘kern’ in OT 1.01, 1.2 and 1.25, so it seems most likely the wording was introduced in one of those. I haven’t yet tracked those down.

But in the meantime, I got info offline from Apple and from Microsoft making clear that their implementations don’t do anything feature-specific in terms of how lookups get processed. I’ve considered that together with the info Ken Lunde providing (that he adapted descriptions for ‘chws’ and ‘vchw’ from existing descriptions for ‘kern’ and ‘vkrn’), as well as the input from John Hudson on my related question (how ‘kern’ type 2 lookups typically get implemented in fonts

That combined feedback is leading me to conclude that what was intended was actually not something for application / layout engine implementers to do as currently suggested by the text in question being in the “Application interface” portion of the feature descriptions. Rather, it appears what was likely intended was guidance to font implementations: when crafting type 2 lookups for ‘kern’/’vkrn’/’chws’/’vchw’, make sure to have the valueFormat2 field set to 0 so that the second glyph is not “consumed” as the lookup is processed over the glyph sequence but becomes the “next” glyph (first glyph for the next pair in the sequence. Otherwise, only every other pair of glyphs can be kerned.

With that in mind, I’ll draft proposed text for revised feature descriptions for those four features.

Peter