[MPEG-OTSPEC] MATH Encumbrance

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Mon Aug 24 03:12:01 CEST 2020

I had forgotten about rasterization/rendering issues, and recall now that issue for FreeType. High-quality rendering on low-res displays is the only general area I’m aware of in which such issues existed in the past 30 years, but I’ve seen no indication that any of the new spec work people want to collaborate on relate to rendering. In the past 10 years, innovations or areas of interest that have been discussed have be related mainly to color fonts, variations, shaping and layout. And while those are all areas in which patents could have been filed, I’m not aware that any company has taken actions to collect licenses or block other implementations. 20 years ago when SIL developed Graphite, nobody went after them. When Harfbuzz and CoreText started implementing OTL, or when Harfbuzz implemented AAT and Graphite, AFAIK there were no objections. Same with COLR / SVG / CBDT / sbix when implemented by other vendors.

If companies can agree to collaborate on a basis of guaranteeing royalty-free licenses for any essential patents, I certainly won’t have any objection. But I don’t know that it will be necessary to have such guarantees in place in order to have effective collaboration that advances the state of the art in regard to fonts and text for the industry as a whole. As much as we here are enthusiastic about text and fonts, it simply is not what will add the next $20B (<1%) to Apple’s market cap, or Google’s, or MS’s, etc.

So, while in some respects I’m not enthusiastic with ISO processes (though I’ve been involved with them for 20 years), I don’t see their IP-related policies as an obstacle for our area. It certainly hasn’t hindered anything in the past 10 years during which colour fonts and variable fonts became real.

Peter