[MPEG-OTSPEC] [EXTERNAL] Re: Shaping behavior standardization: multi-engine or "Super USE"?

Norbert Lindenberg mpeg-otspec at lindenbergsoftware.com
Mon Aug 24 08:48:46 CEST 2020

Another issue for transitioning scripts that are supported by separate shaping engines to the USE: The cluster models assumed for validation may not be compatible. That’s not a font issue, but a text issue – text that renders fine when routed to an Indic shaping engine may have dotted circles inserted when routed to the USE, and vice versa. I’m currently investigating this area for Devanagari, and it’s not looking great.

In addition, the USE cluster model has incompatibilities with Unicode normalization, e.g., for Vedic cantillation marks.

For the USE to become truly universal, it will need to accommodate a variety of cluster models.

Best regards,
Norbert
Lindenberg Software LLC