[MPEG-OTSPEC] Hints, TT and CFF

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Thu Aug 27 07:04:41 CEST 2020

> Although there is a spec for TT hints, it's hardly complete and
> requires quite a bit of reverse engineering if you want something
> that works.  And there is more black magic if you want something
> that behaves like Microsoft's implementation(s).

Hear, hear!  This is completely true.

Even today I find *fundamental* issues that are completely
undocumented in the bytecode description of the OpenType
specification.

IMHO it's a very bad design if you first have an implementation that
you later on try to document.  My feeling is that this is exactly the
case for TrueType bytecode, and it is very obvious that neither
Microsoft nor Apple were very enthusiastic on improving that – and
even today we have that situation...

    Werner