[MPEG-OTSPEC] "font directory" / "offset table" / "table directory"

Adam Twardoch (Lists) list.adam at twardoch.com
Mon Aug 31 18:38:04 CEST 2020

Peter,

Thank you. My non-nativeness perhaps helps me in treating English in a way
that is  somewhat analytical.

I agree that it's not ideal, and not natural for normal English. A "guest
list", not a "guests list" is a list that has guests on it.

The problem is in the ambiguity of the word+subject structure, where the
first word is an attributive (sorry, I used object by mistake earlier), and
this attributive can be a noun or an adjective. English often has identical
forms for nouns and adjectives, and has nouns that are used where other
languages use an adjective.

This is typically no problem because context solves it. But in technical
writing, the depluralization of attributives is confusing.

Prepositional attributes ("dirrctory of fonts") are clearer. Attributive
nouns are almost always ambiguous: "font directory" may mean a directory
that has fonts, like C:\Windows\Fonts, or a dirrctory that is inside a font
and has something else (e.g. directory of tables in a font).

Microsoft talks about the "Fonts folder" in
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/add-a-font-b7c5f17c-4426-4b53-967f-455339c564c1
largely because it's literally called "Fonts" of course, but also to make
it a bit more clear.

A technical spec indtroduces a lot of new information, so we cannot rely
that the reader will always easily decode the depluralized attributive noun
from context.

The example of "font directory" is great: folders used to be called
directories in Windows, and "font directory" is like "phone book" or "guest
list" — a directory of fonts. But at the same time, a font directory
legitimately is a directory of some things (tables in this case) inside a
single font.

This is not a rare problem. I'm sure all of us have found ourselves
thinking how to call a method or property of an object in programming when
it worked with a single item vs. collection. With methods, it's easier
because you put a verb there. But with properties, it's easy to get
entangled in things like "Font.tableDict" vs. "Font.tablesDict" vs.
"Font.dictTables" etc.

A.