No subject

Wed Jan 29 08:39:27 CET 2020

nt to the ISO 639 language tags. They are different standards.

Michelle

-----Original Message-----
From: mpeg-OTspec at yahoogroups.com [mailto:mpeg-OTspec at yahoogroups.com] On B=
ehalf Of Ken Lunde
Sent: Friday, January 4, 2013 11:08 AM
To: opentype-migration-list at indx.co.uk List; OTspec (mpeg-OTspec at yahoogroup=
s.com)
Cc: Michelle Perham; Dwayne Robinson
Subject: Re: [mpeg-OTspec] MS Proposal for a new Name Table ID

Sorry, I now see that what the original proposal stated, but not explicitly=
, is the use of BCP 47 language tags. I am guessing that is what was meant =
by "IETF language tag."

-- Ken

On Jan 4, 2013, at 9:23 AM, Ken Lunde <lunde at adobe.com> wrote:

> Leonardo and others,
>=20
> Another option to consider is the use of BCP 47 language tags, which are =
used for specifying language attributes in CFR objects (aka, ISO/IEC 14496-=
28:2012 or COmposite Font Representation). See:
>=20
>  http://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47
>=20
> Regards...
>=20
> -- Ken
>=20
> On Jan 4, 2013, at 8:14 AM, Leonardo Chiariglione <leonardo at chiariglione.=
org> wrote:
>=20
>>=20
>> Michelle,
>>=20
>> I assume that IETF language tag is ISO 639-1 (or is it ISO 639-2?).
>>=20
>> As this is an ISO standard we should make reference to ISO standards
>>=20
>> Leonardo
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
5 and he would like to have proposed changes finalized by January 11 to mee=
t the deadline for document submission.
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Microsoft has several small changes we'd like to propose. I'll be sendin=
g them out over the next 2 days. The first proposal is for an addition to t=
he 'name' table. The proposal comes from Dwayne Robinson, who I've cc'd on =
this email. Please include him on your responses.
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Justification: O! penType fonts need a way to identify their intended la=
nguage u! sage so that scenarios like text editing can choose appropriate f=
onts which switching language/IME. The inadequate legacy codepage bits have=
 been long exhausted, so I propose adding name table id 23 containing an IE=
TF language tag (http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/name.htm).
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> The following description would be added to the documentation table.
>>=20
>> "Intended Language. This is the language the font was really designed fo=
r, which is not necessarily the same as character coverage. This allows dis=
tinction, for example, amongst Asian fonts as being Traditional Chinese vs =
Simplified Chinese vs Japanese, even though the fonts may have cmap coverag=
e for a subset of each. All language identifiers follow the IETF format wit=
h an optional language and country and mandatory script su! btag. These str=
ings are encoded in UTF-16BE using platform ID 0, encoding ID 3, and the re=
spective language id. Examples include "*-Jpan", "zh-Hans", "zh-Hant". If t=
he font genuinely targets and fully supports more than one language, it wil=
l include more than one name table entry separated by commas."