No subject

Wed Jan 29 08:39:57 CET 2020

The general goal is to create an industry wide specification for a
composite font format that specifies rules that map Unicode ranges
accompanied by language information to fonts.

To be successful and useful, such format should be reasonably easy to
implement, and it should address key motivating scenarios such as
multi-lingual font fallback and cases that are currently served by
technologies such as WPF composite fonts and Adobe composite fonts used
in Illustrator and InDesign.

=20

Would it be fair to state as a primary goal:

A "composite font" is necessary to work around the restrictions of the
maximum number of glyph ids that can be supported by some of the tables
of an OpenType(tm) font.

=20

Beyond that primary goal, things get a bit more fuzzy for me.  I have
questions such as:

1.        should the client of a font engine see and treat a composite
font as a single font without any changes necessary to the client and
its application software?

2.        what are the defining metrics (e.g. max ascender, descender,
leading) of the composite font and how closely do the components of a
composite need to adhere to these metrics?

3.        which component of the composite font would be responsible for
providing the "no-glyph glyph" when a particular character is not found
anywhere?

4.        what are the limitations and/or flexibility with regard to
character encodings, for example, one component supporting Unicode CMAP
table "3,10" and another only "3,1"?

5.        how will the composite refer to the components in different
deployments, e.g. ROM based fonts, disk files, dynamically-memory mapped
fonts, resource file offsets, etc.?

6.        when the client includes OpenType Layout (advanced typographic
extension) processing, how will the composite present related tables
(GSUB, GPOS, GDEF, etc.) to the layout engine?

7.        would layout engines, which are generally independent of the
font engines, need updating to support glyph ids outside of the current
64K range?

8.        and others...

=20

We (Monotype) have some experience with trying to address related
questions, but more for flexibility of component font delivery,
component font glyph repair, and other features, and not for the purpose
of working around the max number of glyphs allowed in OpenType fonts.
But, our solution to our needs is similar to what has been discussed.

=20

Our solution tries to avoid the need of any knowledge of the composite
nature of the font above the font engine.  The font engine serves the
glyphs of the composite font as though the font components had been
physically merged into one and provides "merged" OpenType metric and
layout tables.

=20

When "compositing" fonts, there may be need to provide a "master metric
font", that is, tag one of the component fonts as the "metric font".  Is
this something being considered?

=20

Also, the component fonts may have overlapping Unicode ranges.
Specifying from which component font a Unicode character or range should
be retrieved is important.  And, this decision affects the lookups or
rule sets that may exist in layout (GSUB, GPOS, etc.) tables in the
component fonts.  For example, it may be desirable for a component
font's set of Latin numerals to be priority in the composite font.  But
if another font in the set which contains, for example, Indic also
contains nominal Latin numerals as well as some stylized Latin numerals
that would be substituted in within a specific language/script context
using a GSUB table, then knowledge and interaction of these rules must
be handled in the composite font usage scenario.  I've seen mention of
the issue of specifying Unicode ranges per component in these
discussions, but I don't believe I've seen mention of the layout tables
and the interaction thereof.

=20

=20

My response to an email thread that was active months ago has been long
in coming.  I'm sorry about that.  In fact, there was a specific
question to me and/or Monotype that asked "[what] do [I] think of Ken's
proposal: the definition of portable "Composite Font"?".   At this point
I'd have to better understand the proposal, WPF, the goals (of font
deployment, of limiting affect to font engine client/application level
code, of OpenType Layout) that this group is after in order to give a
thorough answer.

=20

But, in the mean time, I hope this email gives some other considerations
into the problem.

=20

Thanks,

=20