[MPEG-OTSPEC] [OpenType] Re: [mpeg-OTspec] Mac version string in 'name' table

Bob Hallissy bob_hallissy at sil.org
Tue Jun 30 00:22:35 CEST 2020

Thanks, Greg -- it is good to know folks with long memories are still here!

Sascha was testing the behavior on MacOS, but you raise a concern about
Windows.

When you say "many Windows based font installers" are you talking about
OS-level installers, 3rd party installers, or ...?

In my experience, modern Windows itself does not need P1/E0 strings --
at least not when I right-click on a .ttf and ask Windows to install it
-- and in fact doesn't seem to even care about version number, happily
overwriting new versions with old versions :-(

So I'm interested in hearing more from your memory banks...

Bob