[MPEG-OTSPEC] near-term OT spec work

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Sat Oct 3 12:06:06 CEST 2020

Caleb,

Thank you for your candid comments.

We need courage to state principles.  Otherwise,
nothing will change.

Font shaping for developing countries appears to
require significant enhancements to fonts.  Requests
from CSS also require a lot of work.  I do not believe
that such enhancements can be done by private
companies, which have to care how much investment
is required and how much profit can be expected.

Therefore I do not think that we should agree to tie
our hands.

Regards,
Makoto

2020年10月3日(土) 17:55 Caleb Maclennan <caleb at alerque.com>:

> On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 1:23 AM MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp> wrote:
> > I think that synchronization with OT should not be mentioned in
> > this AHG.
>
> Why not? It seems quite relevant to me. Even if I don't *like* the
> current process and the black-box stages it involves, the current
> defacto way the MOFF (MPEG Open Font Format) spec actually gets
> updated is through tracking changes to MSOT (Microsoft OpenType).
> They are still (rightfully) in a position to do whatever they want
> with their own spec for internal use and pragmatically speaking the
> most effective way we have to get things fixed in OFF is by appealing
> to M$ as a benevolant dictator that can actually change their own
> spec and pretty significant weight to get their changes rubber
> stamped into OFF (since keeping them in sync is kind of the deal).
>
> However bad this state of affairs is and however silly it is for M$
> to try to keep their cake and eat it too — as long as this is the
> state of things I'd much rather hear about work they are doing
> internally on their MSOT spec through this AHG than have the topic
> be made off limits. The inevitable result of that would be for the
> entire end-to-end process to happen in closed groups that many in
> the industry don't have access to even audit!
>
> In short it seems very relevant to me for the sync process from
> MSOT→OFF to be mentioned in this AHG list. Even if some of the
> steps are still off limits to plebians, the fact that some of the
> steps are closed doesn't seem like a good reason to close off all
> of the process.
>
> Why do you think the OT→OFF synchronization that is both currently
> and historically a significant part of what the OFF is should be
> off limits for disccussion in this AHG?
>
> Caleb

Regards,
Makoto