[MPEG-OTSPEC] near-term OT spec work

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Mon Oct 5 06:33:36 CEST 2020

> We also need to be honest, especially when it comes to getting something
> done.
>

> Font shaping for developing countries appears to
> require significant enhancements to fonts. Requests
> from CSS also require a lot of work. I do not believe
> that such enhancements can be done by private
> companies, which have to care how much investment
> is required and how much profit can be expected.
>
> Let us be realistic about how the work is done and who does it. Standards
> organizations, be it W3C or ISO, don’t do the work in a vacuum, the specs
> (CSS, OFF, …) don’t come out of thin air. These organizations exist only
> because of [and for] their members – both public and private companies, who
> make significant contributions investing time, money, and resources to send
> their experts to work collaboratively to get things done. These investments
> are substantial, and participating member companies have to remain
> profitable to cover their expenses. They may not profit directly from
> standards work, but they do need to profit from it one way or another, or
> nothing gets done.

EPUB has been edited by a member of the DAISY consortium,
which is a non-profit organization.  DAISY has been always
one of the most influential players in the development of EPUB.
I also know that quite a few CSS specifications have been
edited by independent invited experts (e.g., Fantasai and Florian).

> Therefore I do not think that we should agree to tie
> our hands.
>
> Who are “we” who shouldn’t agree to tie our hands? Who do you think will
> do this work (and implement the results!) if private companies walk away
> from it? Who has resources to get things done when “Font shaping for
> developing countries appears to require significant enhancements to fonts
> ”?

This font AHG.  I do not really know who will do the job, but if the
door is opened, things will become different.

Regards,
Makoto

> Vlad
>

> Regards,
> Makoto
>
> 2020年10月3日(土) 17:55 Caleb Maclennan <caleb at alerque.com>:
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 1:23 AM MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp>
> wrote:
> > > I think that synchronization with OT should not be mentioned in
> > > this AHG.
> >
> > Why not? It seems quite relevant to me. Even if I don't *like* the
> > current process and the black-box stages it involves, the current
> > defacto way the MOFF (MPEG Open Font Format) spec actually gets
> > updated is through tracking changes to MSOT (Microsoft OpenType).
> > They are still (rightfully) in a position to do whatever they want
> > with their own spec for internal use and pragmatically speaking the
> > most effective way we have to get things fixed in OFF is by appealing
> > to M$ as a benevolant dictator that can actually change their own
> > spec and pretty significant weight to get their changes rubber
> > stamped into OFF (since keeping them in sync is kind of the deal).
> >
> > However bad this state of affairs is and however silly it is for M$
> > to try to keep their cake and eat it too — as long as this is the
> > state of things I'd much rather hear about work they are doing
> > internally on their MSOT spec through this AHG than have the topic
> > be made off limits. The inevitable result of that would be for the
> > entire end-to-end process to happen in closed groups that many in
> > the industry don't have access to even audit!
> >
> > In short it seems very relevant to me for the sync process from
> > MSOT→OFF to be mentioned in this AHG list. Even if some of the
> > steps are still off limits to plebians, the fact that some of the
> > steps are closed doesn't seem like a good reason to close off all
> > of the process.
> >
> > Why do you think the OT→OFF synchronization that is both currently
> > and historically a significant part of what the OFF is should be
> > off limits for disccussion in this AHG?
> >
> > Caleb
> <https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/fzBxC2kor7tkEOQQT1t6e5>
>

> --