[MPEG-OTSPEC] Removal of the CFF and CF2 from OFF standard (was: Proposal to make OFF complete)

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Oct 8 17:55:52 CEST 2020

Terence,

You keep repeating yourself. I know you designed rasterizers in the 1990s.
Thanks for sharing your view.

Saying "TrueType hinting is also under-specified" is called "whataboutism".
It shouldn't be used as a way to turn down a proposal.

The hinting *philosophy* being available is very different from hinting
algorithm being specified.

I  repeat: CFF/CFF2 hinting is unspecified and as demonstrated no
implementation other than Adobe's is deemed acceptable by Adobe itself.
This is very easy to understand: without specifying how to interpret hints,
it's impossibly unlikely to come up with multiple "satisfactory" hinted
rasterizers.

behdad
http://behdad.org/