[MPEG-OTSPEC] Removal of the CFF and CF2 from OFF standard

Caleb Maclennan caleb at alerque.com
Fri Oct 9 09:38:05 CEST 2020

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 3:11 AM John Hudson <john at tiro.ca> wrote:
> Q. If an implementation spec is developed in an open process, using
> appropriate collaborative tools and with a public and editable draft,
> and then submitted to ISO for standardisation, who then owns the content
> and can the draft in its current state continue to be public and provide
> the basis for subsequent development independent of the OFF text?

John et all, this is just a bit related to this issue on the
MPEGGroup/OpenFontFormat repository on GitHub. I think
the question has been answered both here and there that in
addition to licensing and patent release to ISO‌ the original
authors of such a spec retain the copyright for their own use
as they see fit. Work started from scratch in the open with an
an appropriate license will make an easy basis to use in
subsequent development cycles. Other work will not.

Hence my request to explicitly mark contributions to to that
repository in such a way that they can be used both for ISO
submissions and re-used later as the basis of further work
whether in the same venue or elsewhere.

https://github.com/MPEGGroup/OpenFontFormat/issues/21