[MPEG-OTSPEC] Removal of the CFF and CF2 from OFF standard (was: Proposal to make OFF complete)

Levantovsky, Vladimir Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com
Mon Oct 12 02:38:53 CEST 2020

Coming back to emails with a delay and significant backlog, sorry about it.

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 3:18 PM Simon Cozens wrote:

You could, but in the case of TT, there's probably easier ways to
actually fix the problem. (The problem, in this case, is that the
specification does not contain enough information about how to use the
data within it, which means the specification is - as Behdad has been
saying - incomplete. The industry problem is that this makes it
impossible to create conformant implementations which use this data.)

I presume there's some reason why the TrueType appendices from the MSOT
spec didn't make it into OFF. But adding those or equivalent chapters
would seem like an obvious work item.

OFF does, in fact have those TrueType appendices included, by reference – see Bibliography (references [7, 8])
The references are informative since TT hinting implementation is not mandated, but the information is there.
(And I just realized that those links in the bibliography are outdated and need to be updated or restored – note to myself.)

Thanks,
Vlad