[MPEG-OTSPEC] near-term OT spec work

lists at florian.rivoal.net lists at florian.rivoal.net
Tue Oct 13 04:30:46 CEST 2020

On 2020/10/09 13:27, MURATA Makoto wrote:
>>> Is everybody allowed to edit open-access documents and make the derived
>>> documents publicly available?  I guess not.
>>

>> Kindly, therefore your list of merely publicly available documents isn't very relevant :)
>
> I don't think so.  If my memory is correct, W3C does not
> allow people to publish documents created by modifying W3C
> documents.

I don't want to hijack this into a discussion of W3C, but since you
raise the parallel:

That used to be true, when the W3C operated under the W3C Document
License (https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2015/doc-license). Even
then, this was never interpreted as limiting the ability of the W3C's
own groups and their participants to iterate on the specifications in
public. Only actual forking was disallowed.

This is now (for W3C) mostly moot, as most (all?) Working Groups have
switched to the W3C Software and Document License
(https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2015/copyright-software-and-document)
which does allow forking.

—Florian

PS: resending, as I had sent this earlier from the wrong email address
and got caught up in moderation.