[MPEG-OTSPEC] Introducing breaking changes into the spec (was: RE: [EXTERNAL] Proposal to deprecate derived search values)

Adam Twardoch (Lists) list.adam at twardoch.com
Fri Sep 11 23:14:43 CEST 2020

Right now am implementer of OT 1.8 has to implement support for all six
versions of the OS/2 table. OFF2 could get rid of that burden.

The implementer could of course re-use their code if exists to support all
versions but only allow the latest in OFF2. But at some point a dev could
make a faster code path for OFF2 and only run a slower legacy code path for
OFF1.

If we do cubic glyf and drop CFF(2) from OFF2 (I know, I know), that'd
allow for the new code be much leaner.

And in some controlled environments they could only deploy the leaner OFF2
code, which could also be a lot safer (speaking as a person who discovered
a CFF vulnerability in Win 7 that prompted MS to issue 3 "most critical"
patches for all their OSes).

Or at least OFF2 could drop CFF[1] and only keep CFF2.

A.