[MPEG-OTSPEC] Introducing breaking changes into the spec (was: RE: [EXTERNAL] Proposal to deprecate derived search values)

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Fri Sep 11 23:29:45 CEST 2020

At this stage — and for a few years now — I have interpreted any
reference to ‘OpenType 2.0’ to actually mean ‘a significantly different
future font technology, whether a flavour of OpenType or an entirely new
format, actually v2.0 or some other version number’. It provides the
context for free thinking about new concepts, a cleaner and leaner
format, etc.

If this is confusing, and we'd like to restrict use of the term to
actual OT/OFF spec revision, then I propose NextFont as a codeword for
typographic futurism.

J.

> On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 4:12 PM Levantovsky, Vladimir
> <Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com
> <mailto:Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com>> wrote:
>
>     I did NOT say they can’t happen here, but this is exactly the kind
>     of decision that cannot be taken lightly, and it is definitely not
>     a joke!
>

> Thanks for clarifying - so you are saying, comments made about 1.X vs.
> 2.0 _are_ helpful and welcome here, but not "in passing"? If yes, how
> to formalize such discussions? :)
>
> On Github, we can have issues assigned to Milestones so its very clear
> what context they are in:
>
> 1. Current Spec Changes (Editorial - no differences for
> implementations, "OT 1.8.x)
>
> 1. Iterative Spec Changes (Small to medium work required by
> implementations to meet the standard, "OT 1.9.x")
>
> 3. Incompatible Spec Changes (Large impact for implementations, "OT 2.0")
>
>     New specs can be written easily, but it’s the wide adoption [not
>     the spec itself] that we should care about the most because, in
>     the end, it is what benefits users. You seem to care a lot about
>     consensus decisions, and this is exactly why consensus decisions
>     are so important.
>

> Harfbuzz is now adopted widely (Google, Adobe, MS...) and anyone can
> fork and implement anything and submit it mainly harfbuzz.

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.