[MPEG-OTSPEC] Introducing breaking changes into the spec (was: RE: [EXTERNAL] Proposal to deprecate derived search values)

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Fri Sep 11 23:34:17 CEST 2020

“WTF” is already used in multiple ways.

From: mpeg-otspec <mpeg-otspec-bounces at lists.aau.at> On Behalf Of Dave Crossland
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2020 2:33 PM
To: John Hudson <john at tiro.ca>
Cc: mpeg-otspec <mpeg-otspec at lists.aau.at>
Subject: Re: [MPEG-OTSPEC] Introducing breaking changes into the spec (was: RE: [EXTERNAL] Proposal to deprecate derived search values)

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020, 5:29 PM John Hudson <john at tiro.ca<mailto:john at tiro.ca>> wrote:
At this stage — and for a few years now — I have interpreted any reference to ‘OpenType 2.0’ to actually mean ‘a significantly different future font technology, whether a flavour of OpenType or an entirely new format, actually v2.0 or some other version number’. It provides the context for free thinking about new concepts, a cleaner and leaner format, etc.

If this is confusing, and we'd like to restrict use of the term to actual OT/OFF spec revision, then I propose NextFont as a codeword for typographic futurism.

I propose World Type Format :)