[MPEG-OTSPEC] Introducing breaking changes into the spec (was: RE: [EXTERNAL] Proposal to deprecate derived search values)

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Sat Sep 12 00:54:10 CEST 2020

Of course: if there’s to be a new font format, we’d want it to be one that works everywhere.

But that would inevitably take some time.

If a site owner replaces all of the “Selawik Regular” OT/WOFF usage on their site with “Selawik New Regular” in NewFont Format (or whatever), and do so when there isn’t broad browser support and without any compat for older browers to use the older font, then that would be breaking the site for many uses. But it’s not the new font that broke things; it’s the decisions of the site owner.

Peter