[MPEG-OTSPEC] Introducing breaking changes into the spec (was: RE: [EXTERNAL] Proposal to deprecate derived search values)

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Sun Sep 13 19:02:15 CEST 2020

> I really hope we’re not going to try to define some entirely new font format by email.

Someone mentioned offline that my brief message, saying what I don’t want but not what I would want to see happen, might come across as trying to shut down discussion and block progress. I think that’s valid feedback, and so want to correct that with a brief elaboration.

Clearly, my statement indicates a desire to shut down discussion—_in this current mode and context_.

For one thing, I thought there had been general consensus that a topic like creating an entirely new format would be pending a discussion elsewhere (the TFCG) on what new areas of activity should be discussed and what the appropriate context(s) for those should be.

Secondly, discussion was bringing up specific design details (dropping CFF, what OS/2 metrics are needed, how formats for graphic elements should be architected), which is putting the cart waaaaayyyy ahead of the horse: As Adam and Vlad suggested, this topic needs to start with a cost-benefit analysis. I’d expand that a bit: any work to start in this direction would need a carefully thought-out business case _and_ strategic roadmap that can convince a broad range of vendors, including most or all the majors, that there will be beneficial ROI and a feasible path to success that takes current realities into consideration. (Do I sound like a PM?) Engineering is first of all a matter of addressing real public or business problems or opportunities. Without that, technical design is nothing more than a science project.

And until vendors have bought into a business case and strategic roadmap, talk of a _hugely_ disruptive change (which is what is being discussed) is counter-productive: at best, a noisy distraction; and at worst, perceived as intended to create discord and new font wars.

I’m all for designing a new and better mousetrap, and I’d be in favour of discussions that explore business case and possible paths to success. But I don’t think this email thread is net helping move toward that. Let’s progress one step at a time, as generally agreed, in the TFCG.

Peter