[MPEG-OTSPEC] 'curs' feature: required?

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Mon Sep 14 20:39:39 CEST 2020

On 14092020 11:29 am, Peter Constable wrote:

> Is the ‘curs’ feature considered a required feature for Arabic or
> other cursively-connecting scripts?
>
> I would have expected it’s required. It’s clear the intent is for
> triggering cursive attachment positioning (GPOS type 3), and
> Microsoft’s Arabic implementation spec
> <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/script-development/arabic>
> lists it among features to be applied in GPOS processing. But the
> description in the OTL feature registry
> <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/features_ae#tag-curs>
> is worded in a way that makes it sound optional, at the user’s discretion:
>
> “/UI suggestion:/ This feature could be made active or inactive by
> default, at the user’s preference.”

Based on Arabic fonts I have worked on or examined, I would say this
definitely should not be optionally active, and if present the curs
feature is expected to be applied by default. Indeed, a lot of fonts
simply break if curs is not applied.

If a font contains support for different kinds of Arabic layout, e.g. a
simplified layout with only horizontal connections and a more
sophisticated display with some amount of vertical connections or
cascading connections, then the curs support required for the latter
still needs to be applied by default, and the differentiation of the
layout styles would be implemented, somehow, in GSUB, setting up the
glyphs that either will or will not require curs attachment in GPOS.

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.