[MPEG-OTSPEC] Introducing breaking changes into the spec (was: RE: [EXTERNAL] Proposal to deprecate derived search values)

Laurence Penney lorp at lorp.org
Tue Sep 15 19:05:45 CEST 2020

You asked for it :)

https://www.axis-praxis.org/samsa/cubic/samsa-gui.html

This is a test build of Samsa which handles “ttf-cubic” fonts, a format I invented this afternoon! These are identical to TrueType fonts but have cubic curves instead of quadratic. Samsa identifies them by the first 4 bytes of the file: “CUBE” instead of 0x00010000.

There are two fonts in the drop-down list: MutatorSans.ttf and MutatorSans.ttf-cubic. The latter is 8% smaller, which is nice.

Create your own ttf-cubic fonts from (cubic) UFO-based variable font sources: replace "curve" with "qcurve" in all .glif files, run fontmake on the .designspace file, open the resulting ttf in a hex editor, overwrite CUBE on the first 4 bytes, rename extension ".ttf-cubic" and you’re done.

- Laurence