[MPEG-OTSPEC] Introducing breaking changes into the spec (was: RE: [EXTERNAL] Proposal to deprecate derived search values)

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Wed Sep 16 17:55:45 CEST 2020

Notes in diary for Wednesday 16 September 2020: agreed 100% with Dave
Crossland for the first time.:-)

JH

> Dear Vlad,
>
> Another long one from me I'm afraid. Adam, don't get jealous 😂
>
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2020, 1:15 PM Levantovsky, Vladimir
> <Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com
> <mailto:Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com>> wrote:
>
>     We just have to remember if we want other people to implement we
>     need to do our due diligence at some point and get the spec updated.
>
>     We also need to be realistic of the potential challenges with new
>     technology adoption _/from the end-user point of view/_. Today’s
>     reality is that the current implementations are widespread,
>

> Err, I'm not sure about that, it's not the reality I am living in :)
>
> In my reality, support for CFF2 or SVG in OT is not widespread, nor
> CBDT. COLR is getting there. I don't mean to pick on Adobe or Google,
> but the fact is that in recent years we've all seen these new tables
> added to the spec, without them being held to the same bar that is
> currently being proffered on the mostly new and energetic folks in the
> AHG.
>
> Mostly those folks are not employees of a large implementor, but they
> do have the same commit access to harfbuzz as everyone else in the
> world, and today that gives them a steak which they did not hold in
> the past. Dad joke intended.
>
> Even focusing on the most widely implemented parts of MOFF, uneven
> implementation reigns in my reality:
>
> Currently a lot of my attention is arrested by what CSS refers to as
> font-optical-sizing:auto not being widespread, and even correct
> support for ital or slnt axes
> (https://arrowtype.github.io/vf-slnt-test/slnt-ital-tests/index.html).
>
> Many applications still do not have suitable access to discretionary
> OpenType Features, or correctly shape all OpenType scripts. Again, I
> don't mean to pick on Adobe, the petition to Adobe subsequent to the
> final session of ATYPI 2014 may be well known, but I am thinking of
> Google Docs/Slides and Microsoft Word/Powerpoint. Figma put everyone
> to shame in their very first try at an OpenType UI.
>
> Now look, I don't mean to diminish the achievements of the last 5, 10,
> 25 years. But I also think it's equally important to be clear about
> the current shortcomings, and to metabolise the energy in the AHG for
> multi-track improvements through clearly written down protocols of
> change management.
>
> The change is here and it needs to be managed.
>
> :)
>
> As for ubiquity and adoption....
>
> As we've seen with color fonts and variable fonts, introducing new
> tables and updates to existing tables does not detract from the
> ubiquitous support for ancient sfnt tables. Those users will stick
> with ancient technologies, and that's totally fine.
>
> I expect that new specs actually simplify things for authors and
> users, so there is less to care about.
>
> For example, the vast majority of fonts will never have more than 64k
> glyphs, and 16 bit GIDs will continue to be an efficient
> [...]

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.