[MPEG-OTSPEC] Introducing breaking changes into the spec (was: RE: [EXTERNAL] Proposal to deprecate derived search values)

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Wed Sep 16 19:30:28 CEST 2020

Vlad:

> wouldn’t you want to brainstorm…

I guess the question is where and how.

We know people have wanted to discuss a few distinct areas: file formats, shaping, vertical layout. The latter two haven’t been part of OFF, so I’ve assumed the primary locus for discussion would be elsewhere than here, starting in the FTCG. I was thinking that _preliminary_ discussion of possibilities for entirely new formats could also happen there, but you’ve indicated that would be in scope for the AHG. Which is reasonable to me since, if there is consensus to start any technical work on some new format, I wouldn’t suggest it happen somewhere other than here.

My main concern for this email list has been that discussion on technical issues in relation to potential new formats could quickly run into a hundred different areas and rabbit holes, and could quickly become very randomizing. And I don’t think that’s good because (i) some could be chased away by volume of traffic they’re not interested in, (ii) it would be harder someone to focus on any of those discussions if they _are_ interested, and (iii) in the meantime it would make it harder to focus on any work relevant to the _current_ OFF project.

Dave has suggested a github issues repo; I haven’t closely followed discussion between him and you on that, but perhaps that’s an idea to consider.

Peter