[MPEG-OTSPEC] [EXTERNAL] Re: Request for OFF Github Repo

Dave Crossland dcrossland at google.com
Fri Sep 18 22:37:25 CEST 2020

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 12:22 PM Levantovsky, Vladimir <
Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com> wrote:

> Simon Cozens wrote:
> > How would you like these proposals to be formatted and delivered? It
> sounds like (from other messages) you would like this mailing list to be
> the official arena for the development of consensus. Would it be
> appropriate to raise proposals as issues in Github containing the new text,
> and then send an email to the list?
>
> This can definitely be a way to do things going forward.

Kindly, this is a terrible idea. :)

This email list can not be managed with tags, milestones, open/closed
status, interlinking -- and Github Issues has email list functionality, so
there is no reason for this list to exist.

Github Issues is a complete superset of this mailing list. This list is
just dead weight.

For the review and approval of final draft documents, by all involved,
Github Issue is a far superior system.

If you insist, it is a clearly workable idea to continue to use this email
list for final submissions, but I think it is adding needless friction,
risks NOT getting consensus because of a lack of clear communication, and
is only justified by "this is how we've always done things."

Or am I missing something that https://github.com/MPEGGroup/OpenFontFormat/
is in some way not as official as
https://lists.aau.at/pipermail/mpeg-otspec/ ?